Seattle PAP plus – Bubble CPAP System
Answering the Challenge
Worldwide, almost 1 million infants die each year from respiratory distress. Respiratory muscle exhaustion is a major cause of failure in conventional n-B-CPAP therapy. These failures, which occur in half of babies receiving this therapy, often necessitate endotracheal intubation and mechanical ventilation that carry the risk of tissue damage and inflammation.3
The Seattle-PAP plus from Dräger may be a solution for such complications. The patented Seattle-PAP plus Bubble CPAP System is designed to create continuous positive airway pressure and pressure oscillations. The 135° angle in the submersed tubing increases the amplitude of oscillations, thus providing effects similar to high frequency oscillatory ventilation for improving gas exchange and offer more efficient respiratory support compared to other methods of non invasive respiratory support.1,2 These oscillations are thought to lessen the work required from respiratory muscles, which would make it easier for babies to breathe.3, 4, 5, 6
Easy to set-up, easy to use
Seattle-PAP plus is safe, effective and easy to use. It was designed to:
- Promote infant safety with a uniquely designed pressure manifold with pressure relief valve.
- Safety tube lock to avoid unintended changes of the PEEP level.
- Provide comfort and optimum CPAP support to the infant due to disposable BabyFlow plus interfaces complementing the system.
- Include funnel with the filling tube which minimises spillages.
- The swivel connector to the expiratory limb prevents unneccessary disconnections and pressure loss.
- The water trap in the expiratory limb prevents unwanted pressure peaks due to condensation in the expiratory limb7.
Simple yet versatile
The Seattle PAP plus has a functional design with a complete focus on the infant’s clinical needs. It is both easy to understand and use. You can:
- Easily adjust the CPAP from 4.5 to 10 cm H2O.
- Quickly connect the Bubble CPAP System to your choice of BabyFlow CPAP interface solutions.
- In combination with BabyFlow plus you can treat patients with the needed masks and prongs.
Low training investment
Time is of the essence in every clinical environment. For this reason, the Seattle-PAP plus requires minimal training to use. Caregivers can learn to use the device safely and effectively in short time, so they can focus more on the patient rather the managing bedside technology.
Prevention and control of infections is an additional factor that went into the design concept. Consequently, all components for this system are designed with single-patient use in mind, thus eliminating the risk of cross-contamination.
Inadvertent changes of the position of the tube in the water, thus changing the CPAP level can cause serious harm to your patient. With the Seattle PAP plus you select your desired settings by locking the tube in the set position. This avoids accidential changes of CPAP levels and is a unique safety feature. Safety and simplicity with no need to worry.